Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dread-Locked

What is this I’m feeling
Am I sick or something
Why do I keep staring
At nothing

Why are we up talking
‘Til 3 in the morning
I put the phone down smiling
Is it right what I’m thinking

How do you know (I don’t know)
Can somebody show me (should I care)
I wanna be sure (I don’t think so)
if this is really... let’s not call it...
Love

I think I better go now
But really I’m not sure how
I really wanna stay here
But it’s not clear

I really don’t mind talking
Every minute I’m loving
I’m here and I’m listening
To every word you’re saying

How do you know (I don’t know)
Can somebody show me (should I care)
I wanna be sure (I don’t think so)
if this is really... let’s not call it...
Love

What’s that you said (what’s that again)
Never mind... no really...
It’s nothing
Can we just take it slow (I really don’t know)
let’s not try to give it... what it is I’m...
Meaning

Why are you scared (I don’t know)
What are you afraid of (but does it matter)
But really it’s fine (whatever this is)
As long as we’re... let’s find out...
Together

(ad lib)

- a duet freshly written February 20th by Kokum, fonts in white are sung by the male voice, yellow by the female voice and brown by both

- o -

In addition to learning percussions, I have also gone back to playing keyboards. Not that I was ever good at it. I am able to play some music and can do some work with chords but that's pretty much it. The keyboard now helps me translate the music I hear in my head into actual songs that can be played by other musicians.

But the learning never stops for me, so now I take on the guitar as a next endeavor. It's really not as hard as I've always thought. I have short and stubby fingers and so I used to not hit the right chords all the time. But nothing beats practice - it still makes perfect (or permanent).

The song above was written during downtime of our work last night. I was out on the stairway playing with some new chords I've learned and Eve comes and joins me and starts humming melodies to it. The words soon followed and by 6am, we had a song quite unlike any we've written.

As for recording the songs in the studio, schedules changed as our producer, Kent, had to do some business out of town. We will begin recording after our Bohol trip this weekend.

In the meantime, we've started putting pictures/videos to the first 2 songs that we recorded at the office. I posted this one on YouTube. The other one we are still working on.


Written with sand on my feet and sand on my guitar… right after he left… What could have happened if I said yes to his vanilla latte? -- Evie

1 comment:

  1. grabe! talented talaga ang kokum! manage ko nga kau! hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Chronicler's Creed

Where there's water and sun, where there are friends to see or new people to meet, where there's something new to learn, experience, or do, where there's life, there I will be.

LA POESÍA

Y fue a esa edad... Llegó la poesía
a buscarme. No sé, no sé de dónde
salió, de invierno o río.
No sé cómo ni cuándo,
no, no eran voces, no eran
palabras, ni silencio,
pero desde una calle me llamaba,
desde las ramas de la noche,
de pronto entre los otros,
entre fuegos violentos
o regresando solo,
allí estaba sin rostro
y me tocaba.

And it was at that age... Poetry arrived
in search of me. I do not know, I do not know where
it came from, from winter or a river.
I do not know how or when,
no, they were not voices, they were not
words, nor silence,
but from a street I was summoned,
from the branches of night,
abruptly from the others,
among violent fires
or returning alone,
there I was without a face
and it touched me.

- An excerpt from LA POESÍA (Poetry) by Pablo Neruda